Arlington Church of Christ had its beginning in 1943. Laurel Avenue Church of Christ had become overcrowded, and its leadership encouraged the formation of a new church in this area, partly to relieve the congestion at Laurel, and partly to strengthen the gospel in Knoxville by establishing another congregation. As a result, a small group with 25 to 30 members started meeting in the old Broadway Theatre, in the 3400 block of Broadway, N.E. This group was known as the Arlington Church of Christ.
The church continued to meet in the old theatre, undaunted by any obstacles they encountered. They purchased land for a building on Fairmont Avenue; but this was later disposed of, and a larger tract of land was purchased on the corner of Clearview Avenue and Tecoma Drive. The land on Fairmont Avenue was later sold. On February 1, 1948, the Arlington congregation rejoiced as they held opening services in Phase 1 of their new building.